Your fund balance is lesser than what you expect it to be because of any of the following reasons (s)
You have sold your holdings or closed your position
In this case, not all your order amount will be credited to your fund balance on the same day. The Exchange takes time to settle the trade, this cycle is called the settlement cycle. Check this video to learn more about the settlement cycle.
Example: I have sold a share of ABC worth ₹100 from my holdings today. In this case, 80% of the sell amount i.e ₹80 will be added to my fund balance on the same day and the rest 20% i.e. ₹20 will be added on the next trading day.
Charges & taxes for your orders
Every order you place has charges and taxes that are associated with it. These charges and taxes are debited from your fund balance at the end of the day. To check the charges & taxes for your orders, check this article.
Maintenance charge deduction
Based on your plan, Upstox might be charging you a fee to maintain your Demat account. It is a fixed fee that you pay once every month/quarter/year as per the account opening plan when you first joined Upstox.
Example: I had ₹50 in my fund balance last when I checked, It now got reduced to -₹38.5. ₹88.50 (₹75+GST) was charged to me as a Quarterly maintenance charge
Upstox does not charge for maintenance to all users, it depends on when you joined and the plan you've chosen while creating your upstox account
Standard maintenance fees are as follows
Annual maintenance charges (AMC) = ₹150 + GST = ₹177
Quarterly maintenance charges (QMC) = ₹75 + GST = ₹88.50
Monthly maintenance charges (MMC) = ₹25 + GST = ₹29.50
An initiative by SEBI, where your fund balance (both funds & securities) are transferred to your primary bank account registered with upstox, once in 90 days. In this case, your fund balance will become zero. Click here to know more
Example: I had ₹100 in my fund balance last when I checked, It suddenly became zero. Although my balance is credited to my bank account
Marked to market loss
If you hold any positions in futures then the loss is debited from the account due to which the account balance can decrease.
Scheduled maintenance activity
The upstox system undergoes maintenance every day between 1:00 AM to 6:00 AM, to ensure you have a hassle-free experience with us, due to which your fund balance might not be accurate. Check your balance after 6:00 AM to note the correct balance.
Note: Check your ledger report at regular intervals to keep a track of your fund balance. Click here to know how to access your ledger report