Your 'Used Margin’ section would be used in either of the two scenarios:
1. From your total 'Available to Trade' balance, when an amount of funds is used for trading, this amount will be shown in 'used margin. This is denoted as a positive amount. The possible scenarios when this may happen is -
- You buy Stock in the Equity Delivery segment.
- You buy or short sell a Stock in the Equity Intraday segment.
- You buy or short sell a Derivatives (Futures & Options) contract in Intraday or Delivery.
- You carry forward an open position to the next trading day for either a Futures contract or an Options contract (on the short side only).
2. Whenever you successfully sell a Delivery position, an amount will be receivable by you, and this amount will be shown in 'Used margin'. This will be denoted as a negative amount. The possible scenarios when this may happen is -
- You successfully sell a Stock in the Equity Delivery segment (from your Demat account.
- You sell an open position (on the buy-side) in the Options segment.
- Login to the Upstox app using your 6-digit Pin or Biometrics.
- Click on the 'Account' tab and then check the Margin used .